13/12/2015

Comme ci comme ca: 2015's most disappointing games


I was initially planning to write a top 5 of my favourite games for 2015, but I quickly realized that it wouldn't work out. 2015 has been an amazing gaming year for me, each game being as excellent as the one that preceeded it, and picking up only five entries was purely and simply impossible. On the other hand, I've played a couple of tepid games that somehow soiled my perfect gaming resume for the year, and I thought that it would be more interesting to mention them—all the more so as I didn't cover them all here. Assume thus that I adored every single game I played this year, bar these ones!

Steins;Gate (Vita): I've written more than enough about my experience with that game, so I won't elaborate excessively. Suffice it to say that as far as I'm concerned, this acclaimed visual novel didn't live up to its potential and ditched a perfectly good story to indulge in mostly nonsensical romantic meanderings.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (3ds): Once again, I won't babble inordinately about this one since I already wrote a post about it. The little I've played was dull, tedious and utterly forgettable. Definitely a waste of good money.

 —Kirby Triple Deluxe (3ds): I played it this summer, but the review was unfortunately lost in my schedule issues of August. Although that game was incredibly pleasant to play, offering excellent gimmicks and a lot of giddy fun, it was also painfully shallow and forgettable. I like to compare it to cotton candy: fluffy, sugary and heart-warming, yet leaving no taste on the palate and forgotten as soon as swallowed. I was also not too fond of the recycling of gameplay elements, which seems to have become Nintendo's trademark of late: some gimmicks and bosses in Kirby Triple Deluxe were already present in 1992's Kirby's Dream Land for the Gameboy—which, en passant, is the only other entry of the series I've played. Frankly, I expected more evolution and novelty from 23 years of Kirby games; but maybe I'm just being too exigeant. Oh, well.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3ds): My short-lived playthrough of this game actually started auspiciously. I was totally fond of the colourful aesthetics and gorgeous vistas and I lapped up the amazing physics so much that I went out of my way to kill extra monsters during the tutorial missions; and, last but not least, I was totally delighted by the presence of all these adorable anthropomorphic cats. Unfortunately, all crumbled down as I cleared the tutorial missions and was thrown into the game per se. The overwhelming number of weapons to choose from paralysed me, and my first weapon tutorial was such a clunky, unsatisfying mess that I gave up on the spot and beat a hasty retreat. Maybe I'll try my hand at it later, if I manage to steel myself enough to stomach the overabundance of equipment.

Fantasy Life (3ds): On paper, this game had everything to delight me: colourful and stylized art style, gentle and welcoming atmosphere and quests by the truckload. However, once I started playing it, I found it curiously vapid and empty. It was not horrible by any means, just uneventful and not exactly compelling. I gave up after a couple of hours because I simply didn't care anymore. In my opinion, this game lacks a backbone, a driving force that could motivate players to play. It's nearly more of a "concept" game, an attempt at creating the ultimate blend of RPG and life sim; however, the result feels artificial, contrived and ultimately shallow. I'll give it another try later, though; maybe I was simply not in the right mood when I played it.

That's four 3ds games, and let's be honest: they played their part in my recent disaffection with the handheld. They are not the only culprits, of course; but four so-so games for one single system in one year weigh heavily, especially when played in rapid succession. I'm pretty confident that I will soon get some quality material to help me recover from this 3ds trauma, though: early 2016 is packed with mouth-watering 3ds releases—which will soon be featured in my next list of coveted games. Overall, 2015 was a stellar gaming year, and I fervently hope that 2016 will be just as excellent. Thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

10 comments:

  1. Fantasy Life was probably one of the most disappointing games on the 3DS.
    Heck, the game sold so bad that Level 5 had to make the sequel for Mobile as to test a different market and see if it actually sells. I almost ended up buying it myself but ultimately borrowed it from a friend. Bear in mind that there's a DLC for it that costs around 13€, if I'm not mistaken, that provides some more content for it. It was still a very mediocre game though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that I expected better from Level 5 given that they created one of my favourite games of all times, Dragon Quest IX... Oh, well.
      I will definitely skip the DLC, especially if it costs 13 euros! I'm not sure more content would ultimately change the feeling of the game, which comes off as empty despite its wealth of content.
      I'm quite surprised to learn that it sold poorly though; given the critical acclaim, I would have expected stellar sales! But Level 5's decision to move the franchise to portable devices makes more sense now...

      Delete
    2. Level 5 didn't create DQ IX though, they were just in charge of developing the game according to SE's directions and using DQ IV/V/VI's assets and coding.
      Thing is, the whole DLC business was very badly handled: you can only play with people that have the DLC if you have the DLC and with those that don't have if you don't have it. This whole thing could have been avoided if they had just implemented the DLC onto the base game since it was created long before the USA/EUR release.
      It didn't get critical acclaim and neither it sold decently, except in Japan, but moving the series to mobile isn't going to make them get better sales.

      Delete
    3. You're right, Fantasy Life was not so critically acclaimed after all. The very first reviews I read were very positive and I was left under the impression that this game was a gem, but its ultimate score on Metacritic is not so stellar... Oh, well.

      Delete
    4. In my humble opinion, Level 5 tried to ride on Rune Factory, Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing's fame and to get that market to buy Fantasy Life. Thing is, Fantasy Life is really mediocre compared to any of those three.

      Delete
    5. That seems totally believable! Too bad they forgot to create a compelling game world and addictive gameplay mechanics in the process, really...

      Delete
  2. monster hunter is a great series but you really need to practice swinging whatever weapon you pick before you can enjoy it

    bet you picked greatsword and just couldn't stand charging for 3 hours only to lose your charge upon being hit

    that's why i always recomend players to start with the spear instead, being able to block is a HUGE boon and it's moveset is simple and powerful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I tried the insect glaive. There were no in-game suggestions regarding the most appropriate weapon for beginners, which would definitely have been helpful. For all I know, I may have chosen the most difficult weapon to wield without knowing it! :P

      Anyway, thank you for the advice! I'll make sure to pick the lance when I give the game another try. :)

      Delete
    2. the insect glaive is considered one of the most powerful weapon in the game but it has a gimmick that makes it different from all the other weapon

      if you press R+Y you shoot like a giant mosquito and by having the giant mosquito bite the monster in certain spot, you can gain 3 different kind of buffs (Red,White and Orange) having the Red buff on you ALL the time is essential as it makes all your move hit twice as powerful (usualy you get it by having the mosquito hit the monster head)

      you also have a special pole vault move that let you ride monster, when you ride a monster you get tons of free hits which adds to the power of this weapon

      if you go using the weapon without knowing that you are just going to get your ass kicked, and that's why i say you need to practice what you pick

      there are a bunch of training quest that pit you against the easiest enemy in the game while giving you a very basic rundown of what the weapon does, if you ever want to give the game another try, do these and/or try to watch some tutorial video on youtube, it even has video explaining the really complicated weapons like the charge blade, the bowguns or the switch axe

      Delete
    3. Thank you for the information and advice! You seem to be quite the expert, so I'm going to heed your words if/when I replay MH4. :)

      Delete