26/12/2015

Nintendo 3ds: It's complicated


My relationships with my gaming systems have been straightforward, unfussy and unashamedly positive for the most part. I wholeheartedly adored The Gameboy, the Game Gear and the Megadrive until I had to let them go because of a lack of games to purchase. I fell in love with the Nintendo DS at first play and still adore it to this day. I purchased the PSP without expecting too much out of it and ended up being pleasantly surprised and loving the system in earnest. The Vita went from being an afterthought purchase to being one of my favourite systems of all times, and my love for it keeps growing by the game.

The only exception to that list of gaming bliss is the Nintendo 3ds, which has the dubious honour of being the only system ever that I started loving before growing to somehow dislike it. I wouldn't step as far as to claim that I hate the 3ds, but thinking of that system definitely generates mixed feelings in me and leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I was well inclined towards it at first, due to the DS legacy and to the Gameboy one to a lesser extent, and my first experiences with it were pleasant enough to make me love it. I thought this was the beginning of yet another long and fruitious gaming love story; however, that dreamy scenario was not meant to be. Instead of getting stronger over time, my initial love for the 3ds slowly but surely crumbled as I had to endure one hurdle after the other at the hands of Nintendo. Their questionable policies and decisions regarding the 3ds are partly to blame for my disaffection with the system, along with other factors that I will now expose in all their unholy glory. Without further ado, here come the lovekillers:

The cursed region lock: This is the original sin and the major flaw of the 3ds, and it's simply impossible to avoid mentioning it. Nintendo's decision to implement region lock on one of its handhelds for the first time in its history was both an incredibly retrograde move and a giant diss to collectors all around the globe. It's safe to say that the region lock significantly reduced my emotional investment in the 3ds: it's a teeny-weeny bit hard to grow attached to a system when you need three different versions of it to play all the games released worldwide. And of course, it should surprise no one that the region lock also reduced my financial investment in the 3ds. If not for this aggravating flaw, I would certainly have imported Japanese special editions of the 3ds as well as Japanese games by now; yet I didn't, and I most certainly never will. Having to purchase a North-American 3ds to play the handful of games that didn't make it to Europe was already galling enough, and there's no way I will waste money to buy a third iteration of that collector-unfriendly system.

Model and iteration galore: Talking about iterations of the 3ds, there are definitely too many of them. 3ds, 3ds XL, 2ds, New 3ds, New 3ds XL: that's five iterations so far, and that's a couple too many. Granted, the DS had four iterations; but the original DS was short-lived and the DSi XL came very late in the console's lifetime, so it never felt like we were drowning under DS models. The five iterations of the 3ds, on the other hand, were released in rapid succession and are all currently cohabitating in shops, which complicates matters when it comes to electing one. To add to the confusion, Nintendo is continuously swarming the market with countless special editions of every single iteration. Multiply this by the three regions, and you get a collector's nightmare. This overabundance of 3ds models jumps way beyond the stimulating mark and lands right into the "too much of a good thing" and "mental overload" territory.

Gimmickry overload: We're talking first and foremost about the ill-fated 3D, which was supposed to be the system's highest selling point—before turning into a total fiasco. Nintendo's obsession with 3D, which can be traced all the way back to the '90S, could have been deemed visionary if not for the debacle of the whole 3D gimmick. That fad went out of fashion nearly as soon as it was launched, and the 3ds suffered greatly from that fall from grace. Few developers nowadays even bother implementing 3D in their 3ds games, and those that do often blotch it horribly. Add to this the fact that the 3D is not tolerated by everyone, and you get a crappy gimmick that Nintendo should have ditched for good twenty years ago. Heck, wasn't the debacle of the Virtual Boy an ominous enough sign that going 3D was not a good gaming gimmick? But wait, we are not done yet with the gimmickry overload. Enter the New 3ds cover plates, a gimmick as costly as it is pointless and a shameless attack on Nintendo fans' wallets. Sure, no one actually forces me to buy these cover plates; but they cheapen the overall image of the system, and I'd prefer to see Nintendo put their energy into producing new games rather than useless pieces of plastic. It's also worth noting that many so-called 'special editions' of the New 3ds are nothing more than regular New 3ds with cover plates slapped on them, which is just the cheapest trick ever. As a collector, I'm not buying this—literally.

The missing games: Let's face it, the 3ds library sorely lacks RPGs. Even the most die-hard fans of the system can hardly deny the fact that the 3ds cannot hold a candle to the DS in that regard and that its RPG library only amounts to a fraction of the DS one. However, this is only the tip of the iceberg. Upon closer inspection, it turns out that the 3ds lack games in general. It lacks new exciting franchises and it lacks new exciting entries in old franchises. It lacks fresh games that are not hommages (read "rip-off"), remakes or ports of games from older generations. Take the Pokemon series: only two brand-new instalments in four years, along two remakes. The Zelda series: only two brand-new instalments that were conceived as "spiritual successors" to older entries, accompanied by two ports. Etrian Odyssey: only one new entry—yet two remakes. Shin Megami Tensei: one new entry vs. three remakes/ports. Rune Factory and Kingdom Hearts: one lone entry each. The list goes on and on, and there is worse: series and subseries that didn't get a single new instalment on the 3ds. Like Sonic Rush, Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Suikoden, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Luminous Arc and probably more that I cannot remember right now. Fresh and exciting new franchises bristling with ideas are also sorely missed, and the few 3ds games that could have been franchise founders fared badly: unless I'm sorely mistaken, Hometown Story, Sonic Boom and Lord of Magna won't be the foundation stones of solid and successful series. To make matters worse, the overall release pace of 3ds games is tepid, as though developing games for the system were a monumental task requiring years of work. Well, allow me to doubt that.

Lack of visual flair: For some unfathomable reason, developers seem to have collectively decided to stick to a single visual style for their 3ds games. Yeah, you know what I'm talking about: said style involves faux-3D sprites and environments, garish colours, kawaisa by the truckload and overall visual cluttering. So many games sport that style—from Pokemon to Moco Moco Friends to Fantasy Life and many, many more—that it would be faster to point out the precious few games that do not sport it, such as Rune Factory 4 or Senran Kagura Burst. This visual uniformity is more than a trifle boring, and I wish developers could take a page from the DS' book—which offers every type of stylization under the gaming sun, from 16bit-ish pixel galore to decent attempts at photorealism—and make their games more visually varied. If the DS could pull it off, then certainly the more powerful 3ds can do it too.

All these flaws have tainted my relationship with the 3ds, possibly forever. Although I will keep pinning for new exciting RPGs and will more or less support the 3ds until the end of its tenure, that system will go down in my personal gaming history as a mixed bag of a console that frustrated and delighted me in equal measure. Yet since I'm an eternal optimist, I keep hoping that some great games will be released by the end of the 3ds' life. A batch of titles with cult-classic potential could certainly go a long way towards rekindling my love for the system, and the release schedule for 2016 looks promising enough to make me want to spend hours glued to my 3ds again. Let's wait and hope! I'd be curious to know if some of you experienced a similar dissatisfaction with the 3ds and curious to know your feelings about that handheld in general, so feel free to let me know in the comments! Thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

27 comments:

  1. Agreed Isleif. I was also excited for the 3DS, mostly for Shin Megami Tensei IV and Rune Factory IV. But the system immediately disappointed me because those games took forever to come to Europe and the dumb region locking prevented me from importing. And then came the terrible news that the studio that made Rune Factory closed, making one of my staple DS series possible come to a close, on top of me not liking the new harvest moon games, killing off an entire genre I spent countless hours on with my DS. I'm still hoping Story of Seasons will turn that around, but as always, Europe has to wait longer.

    I've since been using the smea region lock exploit, so I can import games again, but the price I just paid for Mocco Mocco Friends makes even that a pain. And the e-shop rarely has any sales, unlike the psn who constantly has a rotation of games on sale for 40-50% off, so for someone who's used to paying 20 for a game like I am, paying 40 or more is ludicrous. Adding importing fees to those prices makes the 3DS a very expensive system to enjoy.

    And on top of that, like you said, there's just not enough choice for the system. People always go on and on about how the Vita has so many ports and remasters, and this is absolutely true, but nobody says anything about the 3DS which is also flooded with them. Now I personally like these ports and remakes, but it's so unfair to see the double-standard.

    There's some games I want that are coming out next year, mostly Yokai Watch, Fire Emblem Fates, the Shin Megami IV sequel and whatever pokemon game is released next year. But compared to my huge list of confirmed localized 2016 Vita games, that number is laughable. Plus, you know, we're Europeans, so who knows when we'll get that Megami Tensei IV sequel. Half a year after America in the best case scenario. So shorten that list to 3 games. I wouldn't be so hard on the 3DS if the GBA and DS didn't exist, but they do. The GBA had a lot more to offer on its short lifespan before the DS was released, so there's no excuse for a 3DS that has been around for the same amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It infuriates me that the 3ds still has so few games to offer four years after its release. If anything, the release pace is getting slower rather that faster, which is just plain absurd. Maybe the 3ds library contains less shovelware than the DS and Gameboy Advance ones as a result, but a much smaller overall game library is a high price to pay to get rid of shovelware. Too high, in my opinion.

      I could also have mentioned the fact that every developer feels compelled to create 3ds games that are choke-full with content, to the point of actually becoming overinflated. This certainly doesn't speed up the release pace, and it makes many 3ds games a tedious prospective play. I love good content, but loads of content just for the sake of it bores me tremendously. Not to mention that sometimes one just wants a short and sweet game to kill a couple of hours, and such games are not available on the 3ds.

      My 2016 wish list for the 3ds contains the same games as yours, plus Legend of Legacy, Final Fantasy Explorers and Stella Glow and any Dragon Quest entry that will be released next year. I hope I will love some of these games, which are nothing less than my last hope to rekindle my love for the 3ds! Although to be honest, I'm not expecting too much out of Stella Glow and FFE... But let's wait and see!

      Anyways, thanks for sharing your views on the 3ds! :)

      Delete
    2. Speaking of SMT IV, I'm wondering if making its european release an e-shop exclusive was a good decision. I admit that I do not have any numbers concerning the number of copies that were sold through the e-shop, so I cannot say or know whether it sold well or not. Atlus or its new owner SEGA probably deemed it to risky to attempt a physical mass release of a game that usually only appeals to a specific niche of gamers. But why not approach those interested gamers and offer them physical copies of those commercially risky games through a sort of customer service? Why not modify the price for such copies depending on the region and general interest to a particular genre, series or even specific title? I mean there are people out there who are willing to pay the double or triple of the original price to purchase a used copy of a particular game in a specialized retro game shop, so why not draw a profit out of the obvious demand for such games? After all it cannot cost so much to stuff a copy of a game (whose developement, localization and debugging have already been financed by the publisher) into a physical catridge, if you make it "par commande" / after order, since you approximatively know how much physical copies you have to produce. It would mean assured profit for developer and publisher and the customer would get their games for which they were / are craving.

      Sorry for such a filibuster...

      Delete
    3. Atlus does not want to deal with the European rating board and all that stuff. One of the NISA PR said that they contacted Atlus about SMT IV's Eur release but they said they weren't interested in doing a physical release. (I would post the source but I don't know if it's still there. It was a thread in the NISA forums.)

      Not that it's a surprise, Atlus is basically one of the worst localizing teams right now. They almost always remove the JP dub, add a 10 bucks price over the normal 3DS games in America and sometimes make limited editions that are just a couple of trinkets as to get some more money out of the buyers that still fall for that.

      Also, at Isleif:
      Stella Glow is actually really good from what I know. The same can't be said about FFE and Legend of Legacy, though...

      Delete
    4. The lack of consistency when it comes to physical releases is another thing that makes me resent the 3ds. Nintendo promised more than once that games would be physically released worldwide at similar times, yet we are seeing time and time again that it's not the case. In fact, the 3ds is performing much worse than the DS in that regard, with a good number of high-profile games not having a physical release in Europe. SMT IV was one of the first to suffer this fate and one of the most famous, and more came after it, like Moco Moco Friends and Lord of Magna.

      I do agree that the "print on demand" approach would be a great idea in many cases. Marvelous used it for Senran Kagura Burst 2 and it worked beautifully. Polls are also a good tactic: Gaijin Works used them and the results led to the production of physical copies of of Summon Night 5 for the PSP. (Which I already have preordered, en passant.^^) I hope these endeavours mark the beginning of a new business model catering to game collectors.

      To Sieg: I've stopped expecting any kind of gaming excellence from Square franchises, to be honest... But hey, one can always keep hoping!

      Delete
    5. I had actually completely forgotten about the games Isleif mentioned. Mostly because 2 already had an American release and FFE was released so long ago in Japan, which means the most interested players have already played them and discussed them and now those games have fallen off my radar. Another terrible effect of getting such late European releases. I also found out about Aksys bringing Langrisser Re:Incarnation -TENSEI, which I have an interest in, but who knows if we'll get it in Europe and I'm getting tired of importing.

      Honestly, with so many Vita and PS3 games I have yet to buy and with PSN's constantly tantalizing sales, it's likely most of those 3ds games will get put into the backburner as I get other tittles. Maybe I'll get them when there's a month with sales I don't care for, but 3DS games are certainly not a priority now.

      I think Atlus not providing us with at the very least limited physical copies of SMTIV show how little they care for the European market. Even as a mega fan of Megami Tensei, it pisses me off royally. People can say what they want about Koei Tecmo, but at least they care about us enough to collaborate with NUSA as often as they can.

      But I still don't get why the 3DS games take so long to get here. With the Vita, we have some PSN classics and indie games missing, but major releases always make it over a few days after the American release. The latest was P4 Dancing all night, brought two months later, which is nothing compared to the ridiculous wait we had to go through with SMTIV. Not to mention at least Nisa confirmed it was bringing it over early on, as it did with Lost Dimension, so at least we didn't have to wait a year to even know we were going to get it. I know that the process to get European games approved is a pain, but seriously, what is going on with Europe and the 3DS? Doesn't the European market have a reputation for buying more RPGs than the American market?

      Delete
    6. Indeed, the fact that 3ds games take so long to come to Europe is quite a mystery. Six months of delay for the Etrian Odyssey remakes, more than a full year for SMTIV and so on. You'd think that we are back in the RPG-unfriendly '90s... :P

      Delete
    7. At Elisa:
      Regarding the Langrisser game, it was confirmed that Europe will get a digital version only. (And that the Japanese completely hated the game. Personally, no Urushihara = no buy.)

      It takes a long time to release in Europe mainly because the games have to approved by a large number of rating boards. In America it's just one or two. It also explains why sometimes games aren't available, even digitally, in some countries.

      The deal with SMT IV in Europe was that it happened while Index was selling Atlus. I can imagine that whole thing hindering the localization process, specially since sometimes they need to send the release build to Atlus Japan for programming and stuff.

      Delete
    8. Well, I hope Langrisser doesn't take half a year to get released in Europe then. Even though importing is a pain, I'm glad I have secured a copy of Moco Moco Friends already. But I'm not that into Langrisser to do that.

      Regarding the SMT IV sequel, maybe we will get lucky and NISA will bring it over like they did with Devil Survivor 2 and P4 Dancing All Night? We'll still have to wait a lot after the American release, but at least we'll have an early confirmation that it's coming. That was the most annoying thing about SMTIV, the uncertainty that we were even going to get it. Otherwise, importing time again.

      Delete
    9. Aksys are usually pretty good with European releases.

      NISA does a really good job handling the EUR releases for Atlus, too bad they aren't as swift as in Persona Q's case (only one week difference between USA and EUR releases), but that also depends on Atlus. Ghostlight had several problems with Atlus games but never with other series, so I guess it's safe to say that Atlus really don't make the life easy for EUR publishers.

      Delete
    10. My feelings about Atlus are quite mixed, I have to admit. On one hand, I love them for the quirky, niche games that they develop and publish; but on the other hand, I resent them for caring so little about Europe... Hopefully they will step up their game over time and do a better job at localizing games for the European market! (Optimist gamer is optimist, he he^^)

      Delete
  2. I agree with everything you said. Except for the lack of variety in the visual presentation, since I actually like chibi styled 3D and since I have so few 3DS games is hard for me to judge how far the problem is rooted.
    Also I wanna add that the 3DS (the XL model specifically) is a chore to play. The grip is terrible and the weight of the system makes a strain on my wrists any time I play for more than around an hour and half. The Vita feels so much better to play.

    Honestly, the only game I want to buy for the 3DS in 2016 is Shin Megami Tensei IV FINAL and that River City Ransom remake their going to make (dunno if it will even leave japan though). Considering that God Eater Burst Resurrection and God Eater 2 were just now announced for localization (I was gonna import them this holidays!), I'm not exactly use the 3DS much after those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you regarding the lack of ergonomy of the 3ds. The XL model is ridiculously heavy and I've experienced strain on my wrist as well, and the directional pad is painfully uncomfortable to use. I have to give the 2ds credit for being significantly more comfortable to play; I don't think I would have made it through Senran Kagura Burst with my wrists intact if not for playing it on my 2ds. :P

      I have a couple of 3ds games on my 2016 wish list, but they amount to nothing compared to the number of Vita games I'm planning to buy! :D 2016 should indeed be a vintage year for Vita fans! ^_^

      Delete
    2. I'm also the owner of an XL model, and yesterday I noticed how bad the weight was. I was playing Spirit Camera (a spin off of Fatal Frame), which is an AR game that has you use the system as a camera, which means you have to hold it up constantly and spin around to fight ghosts and take pictures to progress the story. I spent an hour playing so I could finish the game (I had dropped it months earlier) and my arms were crying by the end of it. Half an hour sessions are okay, but more than that and it gets hurty. Usually I play it while lying down on my bed so I never noticed this problem before.

      Sieg, are you planning on importing the new SMT game next year? Because I very much doubt Europe will get it next year. I'm also very excited for the God Eater games though, my Vita will get such love next year.

      Delete
    3. I guess that importing SMT IV: Final from USA is the wisest option. The way things go, the 3ds will probably bow out before a European release can even be considered... And even if said European release miraculously happens, chances are high that it will be digital only. I know that I'm definitely going to import the US version, if only to give some material to my North-American 3ds and recoup my investment!^^

      Delete
    4. I'm seriously considering selling my 3DS XL and just buy a small New 3DS because of the weight. But considering the only game it has is a terrible port, I'm not too keen on doing that. And there's also the problem regarding batteries.

      And since I have my 3DS with the region unlocker, I'm seriously considering importing SMTIV FINAL, yeah. Depends on how Atlus will do things. I wouldn't mind waiting for the EUR release, to show support for the games here, though. My Vita will keep me busy while I wait.

      Delete
    5. The new 3DS has a battery problem? That is news to me, glad I opted for an older model instead of waiting for the new ones. I personally have no interest in exchanging my 3DS, because I really like the large screen and I doubt the new 3DS XL is that lighter. Considering I went through the trouble of region unlocking it and that I'm pretty sure the new 3ds won't be getting any good exclusives, I'm fine with playing it only in bed.

      But yeah, for those who actually want to use it as a portable system, I can see it being a pain. Maybe consider a 2DS if you don't care about the 3D? But the thing I hate with that one is that it can't be closed like the other ones. I don't know, for all the iterations the 3DS has, a really slim XL is not one of them, go figure.

      Delete
    6. The New 3DS/XL's battery doesn't last as long as the regular 3DS/XL, that's what I meant. Dunno if there's actually battery problems, but I don't think so.

      The 2DS is terrible. I can't imagine why would someone buy a 2DS since it's even clunkier to play with. And there's the the problem with not being able to close it, like you pointed out. It's simply better to shell out some more money for a normal or new 3DS.

      Delete
    7. "The 2DS is terrible. I can't imagine why would someone buy a 2DS since it's even clunkier to play with": I beg to differ on this one, Sieg. :D I own a 2DS and it's actually much, much more comfortable to play than the regular 3ds models. On the other hand, the quality of the screen is quite poor, so I don't think I would recommend it to anyone anyway...^^

      Delete
    8. I only handled a 2DS for around 15 minutes, so what I said about it can be wrong. The fact that you can close it makes it automatically a lot less comfortable to carry with you and impossible to adapt the screen angle, though.
      I do agree that it was a lot more lighter, so it probably doesn't cause as much wrist strain as the 3DSXL.

      Delete
    9. The overall feeling of the 2ds reminds me a lot of the Gameboy, which is quite a pleasant association.^^ But I agree that this system is ridiculously large... I have a pouch for mine and that thing looks like a small briefcase, so I only play my 2ds at home and never carry it around!

      Delete
    10. So it seems the portability of the 3DS is actually pretty poor unless you go for a regular size. But I got so used to having a screen that is at least psp size, so that's a pity. I really have no idea why they had to change the design of the 2DS so much, why not make it able to be closed like all the other models since the DS? Seems like the 2DS is Nintendo's PSP Go, nice features in some places, terrible execution in others that kills the system.

      At least now I see why Sony stuck to only one screen with the Vita, you can make a much thinner system that way. I've played my Vita in lots of spaces and it never strained my arms (neither did the PSP or DS). The 3DS I oddly never got the urge to take it with me, even when I was playing it a lot, so I never noticed this issue until now.

      Delete
    11. I had never pondered the portability of the 3ds before; but now that you mention it, it's pretty obvious that the 3ds somewhat fails in that department. The XL and 2ds models are too large and/or heavy and the overall battery life of the system is quite poor, especially compared to the DS, PSP and Vita. My, another blemish on the 3ds resume... *sigh*

      Delete
  3. Hmm, I don't know if I wholeheartedly agree. Sure, the region lock is ridiculous. I've shelled out for three separate systems to be able to play them all, and I shouldn't have had to do that. Which brings me to the reason for having three: why on earth do we have to wait so long for games to come to Europe? I can understand why it takes some time to translate and localize from Japan, but why can't an American game be released here immediately? It's not like many games have German, French or Dutch transitions?
    I do think the library of games is quite good, my wallet can attest to that. But it's beyond me why games have to be so expensive. Even digital ones, which should cost way less. I like the PSN sales a lot, enabled me to buy more games then I should have!
    This Summer is exchanged one of my 3DS XL with a New 3DS XL ( the regular model is way, way too small for me) but I must say I'm not very satisfied with it. To me, it ads nothing, and in retrospect I'm sorry I bought it. I don't use the 3D at all, so for only the NFC capability I could have spared myself the money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you!^^ I know you love the 3ds dearly, hope this post didn't hurt your feelings. I needed to get this frustration regarding the 3ds out of my chest, but my intention was never to offend Nintendo fans! :)

      All in all, all my gripes with the 3ds revolve around the fact that it is such a collector-unfriendly system, so to speak. Region lock, delays in European releases, dozens of editions of each version of the system and a much smaller game game library than the DS; all this doesn't make for collector delight, which is the reason why I grew disenchanted with the system over time.

      I also own a New 3ds XL, and I agree with you: the enhancements are not really that staggering. There was a huge quality leap between the DS and the DSi, but not so much between the 3ds and the New 3ds. The battery life is not significantly better and if there were any improvements in terms of screen quality, I yet have to see them... I'm just as happy with my "old" regular 3ds XL, to be honest! :)

      Delete
  4. Nope, you didn't hurt my feelings at all! In fact, lately i mostly played my Vita, I still think that awesome machine is sorely underrated. A lot of the things you wrote have merit. But what I love most about the 3DS is the love the company is showing the device and its fans. And that is something Sony should take some advise on: they treat the Vita as their poor stepdaughter!

    By the way, is there a way to subscribe to your posts? It would make it so much easier to keep on eye on here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it's infuriating to see how Sony ignores the Vita—and its own customers by extension. Good thing there are so many Japanese developers ready to lavish some time and attention on the creation of niche Vita games! :)

      There used to be no way to subscribe to my posts, but I just added an email subscription box similar to the one you have on your blog. Hope this will come in handy! ^^

      Delete