06/12/2015

PSN: A rant (a.k.a. those quantic digital games that are yours, yet not yours)


I've just made the most unpleasant discovery regarding games downloaded through the Playstation Store, a discovery that made me hiss and spit like an angry cat. Having to fork out a ludicrous amount of money to obtain proprietary Vita memory cards was not enough, oh no; dear ol' Sony had to design extra limitations to prevent us from using the content that we legally bought.

Here's the situation: I am a collector of both games and gaming systems. As a result, I currently own five Vitas in various colours, with the plan of using some of them as backups when my oldest Vitas start dying on me. I always assumed that all the games I downloaded from the Playstation Store could be played at will on any of my precious Vitas; but lately, as I learnt that only two Vitas could be registered on the PSN, a sliver of doubt regarding that assumption wormed its way into my mind. Before I knew it, said sliver of doubt had expanded to massive proportions, to the point where I felt obliged to run a test in order to dispel or confirm my suspicions. I took one of my brand-new Vitas out of its box, stuck a memory card loaded with games into it and booted the system. A couple of minutes later, my horrendous suspicions were confirmed: I cannot access the content of the memory card at all unless the hosting Vita is registered in the PSN.

I'm absolutely livid, and royally pissed off. This basically means that I cannot play the games I bought on the systems I bought on my own terms and have instead to endure Sony's arbirtrary limitations. Sure, I can register and unregister Vitas at will on the PSN, but why do I have to do that at all? Why can't I register as many Vita as I want on the PSN? And most importantly, why do the memory cards need to be used with a system tied to a PSN account in the first place? I bought these games, damnit, and I should be allowed to play them on any system I want once they are safely tucked away on a memory card.

This point matters to me as a collector, because one of the main reasons why I collect is perennity. I collect games and systems so that I can replay them to my heart's content as time goes on, and these hidden PSN rules put this plan in jeopardy. It's pretty safe to assume that the PSN won't be around forever, and I'm asking: what will happen to my downloaded games when the PSN is taken down? Will they become totally unplayable? Maybe Sony will come with a fix to allow PSN users to keep on playing the games they bought, but maybe they won't. This means that I paid for products that may one day become unusable, and this is NOT what I signed for. Nintendo got a lot of criticism for their unpractical policy of forcing Nintendo Eshop users to have their account tied to a single system, but these policies of Sony are just as bad. They are actually even worse, because Sony doesn't deliver clear information on the matter and let people make assumptions that are ultimately untrue—such as the perfectly reasonable assumption that purchased digital games are yours to use as you want on any system you want, now and forever.

I was already not in favour of digital games, and this discovery makes me dislike them even more. From that point on, I will:
a) Ponder very carefully every digital purchase and proceed only if the concerned game is not available physically at all and if there is a discount on it.
b) Get my act together and step up my game by diving back full force into my long-forsaken Japanese studies. This endeavour is long overdue, and now I have more incentive than ever to undertake it. Once I know enough Japanese, I can purchase the Japanese physical editions of all these games that are released only digitally in the West and stop worrying about the perennity of my games.

Although I'm furious about this whole mess, I'm also glad that I made this discovery. Being aware of these hidden limitations regarding digital games will spare me some uninformed purchases and help me save some money in the long run, and hopefully it will help other gamers do the same. Thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

4 comments:

  1. This is really crappy yes, but the reason why I'm okay with it is that I know the vita will be hacked along the way, possibly soon. Which will lead to piracy, yes, but also get around this problem and let us play our backups of these games. We shouldn't have to do this, no, but such is the digital age. The same will happen with steam once it goes out too, the only difference being piracy is easier on the PC. Only completely DRM free stores, like GOG, don't have to deal with this problem.

    Only the future will tell what Sony and the other companies will do about the problem in the future, since it is a problem that affects all of the big 3. Will they just make us buy the games again on a new platform, leaving some games forever behind? Maybe, but as digital games become the norm more and more, they have to come up with better solutions, because the ensuing shirt storm that gamers would rightly create over this could lead the market to a crash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do indeed hope that a satisfying solution will be found before the networks are taken down and/or replaced! I would definitely be part of the shit storm if this is not the case. Heck, I certainly wouldn't have bought as many digital games as I did if I had known about these limitations from the get-go!

      Piracy is obviously an option, and I'll resort to it if I have no other choice. There's no way I am going to let Sony rob me of the games I rightfully bought. If they decide to play dirty, so will I.

      Delete
    2. My feelings are that companies will emulate a lot of these old games on the new console or network, but will make us buy them again, and will leave a lot of unknown games in the dust. And when they're gone forever, they're gone. By that point, emulation will be the only way to go, like it is now with the very old systems. For us mobile gamers it will absolutely suck though, since playing these games on PC sucks.But who knows where technology will be by then.

      I'm guessing we will have portable tablets or micro computers running windows that will be as good as the computers of today. And since we already have a ps3 emulator in the works, most systems will be emulated, and then we'll be able to play even PS3 games on the go (the only system I see where emulation could be an issue is the 3DS, because of the stupid gimmick). This will probably only happen in 15 years, but what a glorious age it will be, where we can even play steam games on the go, just attach a controller.

      Of course I don't know the future, but this is the way it seems technology is going to, powerful and very portable computers. Of course, since you are a game collector, I know not being able to play on the original system is terrible, but at least your games will never truly be gone, even if the big 3 companies will hate that.

      Delete
    3. To be honest, although I've been ranting, this issue concerns only a fraction of my game library. I have 25-or-so digital games right now against hundreds of physical games, and I own several copies of all of the gaming consoles I play, so I won't yet be stranded without games to play and replay! :D

      It's more a matter of principle, I guess. I come from a place where purchased games were yours to play forever, or at least as long as your console was alive, and I'm deeply unhappy about the changes brought by the evolution of the gaming industry. I certainly don't want to buy again games that I already bought, and I don't want a game to disappear entirely from my collection after I forked out some hard-earned cash to purchase it.

      I've never been fond of playing emulated portable games on a PC, but I think I could stomach it on a tablet. At least, I'd rather do that than stop playing games entirely. And if such tablets indeed come to exist and allow us to access even more oldies, then that's all for the best! :)

      Delete