25/02/2016

Trails in the Sky: A love letter


I just finished Trails in the Sky, and I'm both sad and elated. Sad because that amazing game is over, and elated because I relished every single minute of the 45 hours I spent playing it. Now I can scream it out loud: I ADORED that game. I adored it so much that I want to play every Legend of Heroes entry as well as every Nihon Falcom game ever released. Now that's a nice mission to appoint myself, yes precious.

The fact that I loved Trails in the Sky so much is still a bit of a mystery to me, to be honest. By all accounts, I should have hated it: story-driven RPGs are not my forte, and I usually tend to experience some serious storyline fatigue around the 25 hours-mark. So how come I could keep going for 45 hours and still want more when all was said and done? Well, maybe because Trails in the Sky is not really a story-driven RPG after all, at least not in the modern acception of the word. The game's approach to all things narrative is pretty much an old-fashioned one: the story is here to provide milestones and general directions but doesn't push the player around like cattle. There are ample amounts of freedom to be enjoyed and vast expanses of land to be roamed at one's own pace, be it to fulfill sidequests or just for the sheer pleasure of it. I would be tempted to describe Trails in the Sky as an atmospheric RPG rather than a story-driven one: it is a game in which gratification is derived from immersing oneself in the game world and letting the whole atmosphere soak in. The story is but a mere detail here—all the more so as it's entirely told in medias res, with characters constantly referring to past events and elements of the game world's mythology as though they're common knowledge. The player is basically expected to jump on board, take the settings in and enjoy the trip to the fullest—which I certainly did. And talking about jumping on board and trips, I certainly didn't expect the title to actually refer to airliners and the trails they leave in the sky. Isn't that a bit... mundane? Oh, well. It's still evocative enough, I guess, and no one prevents me from reading figurative meanings as well in this title. 

The last 30 hours of my playthrough were just as good as the first 15, maybe even better. I particularly enjoyed the fact that the core of my party was made of Estelle and Joshua up until the very end; I loved this arrangement from the get-go and half-feared that the game would force me to go full party as some point, but these fears were unfounded. I also lapped up the grindy crawl in the last dungeon, which was a nice and unexpected bite of classic dungeon crawling. By that time, I had discovered the ultimate trick to wrap up boss fights quickly, namely to fill up everyone's S-Break gauge before the fight and to start said fight by unleashing a slew of devastating S-Break attacks that allowed me to gain an overwhelming edge—if not victory altogether. I used that trick to harvest the overpowered pieces of gear hidden all around the last dungeon, gaining a couple of levels in the process. And all that grinding paid off a million times during the final showdown, indeed. I still don't know if I should commend or blame Nihon Falcom for having had the audacity of stacking up four final boss fights in a row, without any opportunities to save or refurbish in between. Sure, the fourth and last fight is but a mere formality; but it still took me nearly one hour to polish off that formidable meal of a final boss fight. I was lucky enough not to die in the process, which I attribute entirely to my dutiful grinding and to my patient collecting of overpowered equipment. For the record, my final party was made of Joshua, Estelle, Zane and Agate: only powerhouses with close-range weapons, true to my bull-like fighting style in RPGs. I guess one never truly recovers from starting their RPG career with Action-RPGs, indeed.

Last but not least, one word for the ending. It was quite long, just as I like my RPG endings to be, and it was also quite bittersweet, something that I had come to expect over the course of the game. I wanted some relationship drama and the game was more than happy to indulge me. I'm extremely glad I played Trails in the Sky in 2016, when the sequel has been localized and made available through the PSN, because playing it at the time of its release and being left with that cliffhanger ending would have been a nasty blow that could have retrospectively tainted my whole run. Fortunately, said sequel is safely tucked away on one of my Vita memory cards, and I can play it right away if the suspense regarding Estelle and Joshua's endeavours becomes too unbearable. As a matter of fact, I'm seriously considering doing just that.

While I'm still pondering the matter, I ordered copies of all the PSP Legend of Heroes entries that I didn't own yet—namely Ao no Kiseki, Zero no Kiseki, Sora no Kiseki the 3rd and Sora no Kiseki SC, just for the sake of owning a physical copy. My mission is to play them, along with any other Nihon Falcom game, and confirm whether the series can indeed become one of my favourite RPG series of all times and Nihon Falcom one of my favourite developers of all times. Only time—and play—will tell! Until then, thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

10 comments:

  1. I'm going to skip on this series entirely. I was excited after your review, but XSEED just announced that the 3rd chapter would only be released on the PC. That's complete and total garbage, I absolutely despise gaming on PC. And it just feels like a spit on the face of the handheld gamers that supported this series way before the PC ports were available. So I'm glad I haven't bought any game of the series until now, and will be skipping it entirely. I will move on to Trails of Cold Steel instead.

    Maybe there's hope of the Vita remakes making it over some day, but there seems to be licensing issues with them, so I'm not holding my breath. Either way, not supporting XSEED on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That decision is bizarre, to say the least... And yes, it's downright disrespectful to portable gamers. Since I also hate gaming on PC, all the more so if the game in question was originally intended for a handheld, I will have to make do with the Japanese version if I want to play the 3rd Chapter.

      It may not be so bad though, since the main characters involved are not Estelle and Joshua... My hope is that their situation will be solved for good in Trails in the Sky SC. Let's play and see!

      Delete
    2. While I really didn't like the first one at all, XSeed's decision was terrible for those who wanted to play the games. It was thanks to the PSP crowd that they even picked up the series in the first place.

      And I don't understand their decision really: Second Chapter sold like less than 10k in the first month on PC. I get that the PSP is old, but the Vita can play the game too and the total sales from both would probably be over 10k.

      Delete
    3. That whole affair mystifies me, to be honest. The Vita is the system of choice to hold PSP games, both in terms of sheer accessibility and gameplay experience... Playing portable games on PC is an underwhelming experience, an experience that I promised myself never to dabble in again after my years in emulation. Oh well, I gave up a long time ago on trying to figure out the logic at work between (non-)localizations and ports! :P

      Delete
    4. The whole deal is rather surprising. XSeed was far from being a bad publisher. Well, they did lie that they would release all Kiseki games in physical format.
      I'd expect this type of behavior from Square (like they did with Setsuna) but not from them.

      I only play PC for some quirky games here and there or emulating SNES games (since the PSP doesn't have a very functional SNES emulator). I find PC just purely uncomfortable to play.

      Delete
    5. Talking about Setsuna, Square Enix claimed that they would consider a PS Vita localization if there was "a swell of demands"... So how knows!

      This is a game that I would love to play, if only for the wintery setting. I don't buy so much the supposed "old-school" flavour, because Square Enix seems to have long forgotten how to do old-school. At any rate, if no Vita version appears in the West, I will go for a Japanese physical copy!

      Delete
    6. Don't bother with whatever Square says these days, Isleif. The chance of we getting a Vita release of Setsuna is 0%. And even if we DO get one, it's going to be digital only, like the PS4 release, so I'd probably import anyway.

      Not that it matters, the game is pretty mediocre it seems and the Vita version, despite being the "original" version, has slowdowns and loadings longer than half a minute. Heck, the game was even sold has a budget release in Japan.
      Regardless, I'm still kinda interested in it, if only to test this "new old school" RPG of today's SquareEnix.

      Delete
    7. Slowdowns and loading times? Well, maybe that's Square Enix' interpretation of "old school". :P

      Anyway, I think it's gonna be import for me as well, all the more so if the game is cheap! I'll wait for a good discount on Play-Asia. ^^

      Delete
  2. I saw XSeeds promotion of the game, downloadable at a deduced price in the Playstation Store, and I must say it interests me. But what a pity if the third one will only be available on the PC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That offer is really interesting, since you can get the two games for the price of one! If you want a meaty old-school RPG, I would definitely encourage you to indulge in that purchase.^^

      It is indeed a pity to see the third entry being released only on PC, but who knows... Maybe XSEED will change their plans if players are vocal enough and ask for a Vita PSN release! This has happened already, so there is always hope!

      Delete