23/10/2016

Rainbow Moon: On hold


After 50 hours of play, I'm taking my first official break from Rainbow Moon. The break I took some time ago to try out Dragon Quest Builders was a mere intermission that hardly lasted a day; this time, I'm planning to stay away from the game much longer. Although I still love Rainbow Moon dearly, there's no denying that I'm starting to feel a teeny-weeny bit of grinding fatigue. I'd rather wisely take a break from the game now and come back to it later than soldier on and end up vomiting the whole thing. After such elating beginnings, such an outcome would be quite a pity and a shame indeed.

This break is also partly fuelled by my trip abroad. Not only did that trip broke my grindy Rainbow Moon routine, making it kind of hard to hop back on the grinding treadmill once I came back home, but it gave me the opportunity to amass some absolutely glorious gaming loot. I found no less than five recent releases in a single shop—including three Vita games, of all things! And we're not talking about just any Vita games, dear fellow gamers: this trio of acquisitions includes Criminal Girls 2 and Valkyrie Drive, two games I never expected to find in shops in a million years. Well, not only were they here and ready for the looting, but they were also proudly advertised as the top-selling games of the moment. Looks like there's still some life in the Vita after all! At any rate, it's been years—if not decades—since I was able to purchase that many games in a brick and mortar store, and my elation is so intense that I literally want to play them all right now.

The gaming instinct wants what it wants, and that's why Rainbow Moon must take a backseat while other contenders are taking center stage. I can already tell you that after much inner debate, Criminal Girls 2 is the game I elected to grace my Vita slot these next days. Time to indulge in another sort of grinding! That being said, I'm still very much planning to write about Rainbow Moon, and that promised list of the things I love in the game is still very much in the pipeline. See you soon for more gaming goodness, dear fellow gamers! Thanks for reading, and be my guest anytime!

4 comments:

  1. I see the new Sonic game in that beautiful pile of loot. I hope you review that one when you play. Considering the previous games in this reboot, this one has gotten good reviews, but I'm still wary of it. Not like I won't buy it anyways, mind you. Damn childhood loyalties.

    Ditto on following your gaming instincts. I spent the last year and half soldering on many RPGs when I was 70 hours into them, instead of taking a little break, and now the whole genre fatigues me. I still haven't gotten back on the RPG treadmill after a 3 month break. I've only been playing Story of Seasons, but 70 hours into that game and I still have a lot left to do. I haven't even married yet, so I'll be playing it for at least one more month. I've also been replaying Dynasty Warriors 8 empires, about 5 times now. My brain tells me it's a waste of time to replay a game so much when I've beaten it the first time 5 months ago, but I'm tired of being a slave to my backlog. That game is current de-stresser and no nagging is going to change that. I'm seriously considering buying the DLC scenarios for that game, instead of spending the 20 euros on a new game, just so that I have an excuse to play it more. A first for me.

    Heck, I'm finally going to buy a PS4 this Christmas, and the thing I'm excited about the most is buying the warriors games I don't have for the vita and rebuying DW8 Empires and Warriors Orochi 3, all for the beautiful graphics and performance (they're one of the few games where the experience truly is inferior on the vita, due to obvious reasons). And Okage Shadow King, which is an RPG, but it's a PS2 classic that Europe never got that I've been waiting 13 years to play. Oh, and the Ape Escape games, I never managed to buy ape escape 3 when I was young. But games like Knights of Azure, FF15, Bloodborne, the new Ni no Kuni and such? Hmm, I'll wait for a 50% off sale and add them to my backlog. I think the only game that will break me out of this funk now is the new Digimon game next year, another reason I'm finally caving and buying the PS4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm most definitely planning to play and review Sonic Boom: Fire&Ice, and quite soon at that! I've been waiting for that game's release for a full year now after it was repeteadly delayed, and there's no way I'm going to wait any longer before indulging in it. I really liked the first Sonic Boom game and I hope this new entry will be just as good, if not better.

      Yeah, forget the backlog and treat yourself to the games you love!:P The backlog is here to serve us, not the opposite. And there's nothing wrong with replaying a game you really enjoy countless times. Heck, I must have played Sonic 3&Knuckles a hundred times while I could have played something else, but what matters is the fun you get from playing, and I certainly got my share of fun while replaying that game over the years.^^

      The PS4 does have great games, that much is undeniable. Home console is a no-go territory for me, but I must admit that I'm often jealous of PS4 players for getting the opportunity to indulge in all those exclusive PS4 RPGs. On the other hand, the Vita also has its share of exclusive titles, so I guess I shouldn't complain...^^

      Delete
    2. Ah, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, that was also my game of choice to replay when I was young. It was replaced by the spyro games when my sega saturn sadly went belly up, and even with the re-releases in sony collections it has not gained its old place back. Awesome memories though, I remember feeling so good when I got all the chaos emeralds and was able to blast through stages. I especially liked super Tails and his birds even though that was forgotten by the series down the line.

      I only truly "gave in" to the lure of a ps4 due to the vita remote play. Play games on my vita with better graphics? Heck yes. And it does have a fair amount of exclusives. I will still prefer buying Vita versions to PS4 ones though, I just like the device too much. But there are some games that I don't mind purchasing a second time for the visual and performance upgrades for when I do want to play a console. Very few, mind you, besides the warriors games I'm only interested in buying Toukiden Kiwami again. If remote play is also possible with the ps2 classics I'll be in heaven though, Okage Shadow King would be amazing on the vita.

      Delete
    3. The Vita remote play IS an awesome feature, that much is undeniable. If not for the fact that I don't own a TV, I would probably have purchased a PS4 by now only to play PS4 exclusives on my Vita.

      On a more general note, it seems that streaming games from a home console to play on the go is the hot trend now. Case in point, the Vita remote play and the newly unveiled Nintendo Switch. While the portable gamer in me relish this evolution, the collector in me fears that it will further accelerate the disparition of physical games. Oh, well... There's no stopping gaming "progress", I guess! Needless to say, I'm SO glad I put together a collection of physical games that will be available for the replaying in the years/decades to come.^^

      Delete